Conversion of Victorian chapel
Products: SF55 bifold doors, fixed frame windows & balustrades
Built in 1837 and then extended in 1878 this Methodist chapel in a quiet Kent village had sat empty and neglected for nearly a decade when it was sold at auction with planning permission for conversion into a family home.
The complete, yet sensitive, renovation involved removing the initial chapel building at the rear of the property, re-profiling the slope and rebuilding it using reclaimed materials as a two story stylish addition featuring two sets of Sunflex SF55 aluminium bifold doors to take advantage of the fantastic views of the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The inward opening bifold doors in the master bedroom on the first floor of the property link to an oak timber balcony complete with glass balustrades, while the outward opening bifold doors on the ground floor perfectly connect the modern kitchen with walled courtyard paved in natural stone, bringing the outside inside.
The design of the four-bedroom, two bathroom conversion combines contemporary design with traditional materials and maintains the original red-brick chapel that whilst not listed had become part of the fabric of the village. The chapel itself underwent a complete renovation with a new structure inserted behind the traditional facade to create a modern open plan living space.